- The 5th & Detroit construction project is out to bid, December 4th – January 11th. The project is being bid through the City of Ann Arbor, see here for more information.
The DDA and City of Ann Arbor will begin construction on a large-scale street improvement on N. Fifth Avenue and Detroit Street (between Catherine & Kingsley) early spring 2018.
The intersection of 5th & Detroit is home to many celebrated features, including the Old Fourth Ward Historic District, the Farmer’s Market, Zingerman’s, Community High, and Kerrytown Shops. Despite this, the brick streets are badly damaged, the crosswalks need improvement, and the utilities need essential repairs. As a result, the DDA and City are partnering to make the necessary restorations.
The extent of the 5th and Detroit improvement project is from N. Fifth Avenue, from Kingsley to Ann Street, and Detroit Street, between Catherine & Kingsley (see above).
The project includes:
- Roadway reconstruction
- Underground utility upgrades and replacement
- Crosswalk improvements & reconfiguration, including a pedestrian crossing island
- Historic brick street restoration
- Pedestrian lighting improvements
- Sidewalk replacements and pedestrian amenities
Our goal is to maintain the special character, while also improving the safety and function of the sidewalks, streets, and utilities.
This project being done in partnership with the City of Ann Arbor. To minimize confusion, the primary project page and all documents and meetings will be posted on the City’s website: click here to access.